Monday 24 November 2014

Buying a New Bra is not my priority, as long as I can feed my children, who needs a bra?

Buying a New Bra is not my priority, as long as I can feed my children, who needs a bra?

Buying a bra in many rural communities in Africa is not as easy as we think. It’s amazing the little things we take for granted. Imagine having to go through four to five years with just one bra.

Madame Eniye who sells able roasted peanuts in a local market in Benin, said buying a bra is not my priority, as long as I can feed my children, who needs a bra? I will just cover up my breast with a wrapper (Smiling). My husband is not working(Translated). 
This is a very common response among women in rural Africa. The disturbing issue is that, those who are able to buy a bra, continue using it when they put on weight or loose weight, which now leads to high “Breast Pain” complaints in Africa.

If you ask ten (10) women of their bra sizes, just one may be to tell you. The bra’s band digs into their flesh (around the torso). A bra is supposed to fit tightly, but the band should not dig into the flesh,” we try to teach. We educate the women to try to change into a larger band size, taking into reflection the extra cost to them and their key priorities. It will be a huge success when we are able to get 10% of all the women we breast examine in 2015 to buy one extra bra each year. I pray that soon we shall be able to share free bras to women in rural African communities.

So many of the women have their shoulder straps cutting into their shoulders, due to a small cup size, but sometimes also due to small band size. It is very common for a breast-feeding mothers to keep on wearing the same bra she had while she was pregnant, as this is the only bra she has and can afford. Just think if we had the opportunity of giving one used or new bra to every woman we breast-examine in 2015.

December 9th Cancel Cancer Africa will be kicking off the Bra-4-Africa’ global campaign, our goal is to encourage people to support with Used or New Bras. We aim to carry out over four thousand breast examinations in 2015 across rural communities in Limpopo, South Africa, Busia County, Kenya and Edo State, Nigeria.

For more information please visit our website on www.cancelcancerafrica.org or kindly send us a mail to info@cancelcancerafrica.org

No comments:

Post a Comment